Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Tech facts about TECHknitting

Anonymous asked: "great illustrations, how do you do them?"

Wisconsin highway 51A: For nearly 10 years I've been trying to find the correct format for getting the "knitting tricks" viruses out of my mind (and into yours!) I twice started books (and got several chapters into each) but the book format lacked a feedback loop, and there was no way to keep updating. I don't have much to show from those attempts except 1) several bulging files; 2) a bunch of sample garments (many already worn out) and 3) a knowledge of ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR. Over the years, Illustrator has taken over my mind to the extent that when I see a highway sign, for example, I imagine how I could reproduce it.

Since I started this blog, I hardly knit any more--I illustrate knitting instead. Each line drawing can take between 2 and 10 hours (which accounts for the time lag between posts...)

--Techknitter

9 Comments:

Anonymous Cyndi said...

Thanks for explaining how you do the drawings. Have you ever considered illustrating knitting books? Your pictures are 100 times better than in most books & magazines!

BTW - great blog... this is my first time here, and I'll definitely be back.

December 13, 2006 at 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Nosihle said...

Yes that is great! i like what you said about the "feedback loop." i never considered that a blog could do that.
also the drawings are great! i just hope you don't go blind doing that...considering how long it takes...knit on! (or illusrate on)

December 13, 2006 at 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your site -

THANK YOU!

I've been knitting for years - but your illustrations are by far some of the best I've ever seen. Things I mess up regularly are going to make so much more sense now.

December 14, 2006 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger christine said...

Yeah, I was wondering that, too...........but, don't you miss knitting?

December 14, 2006 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Thank you for a wonderful site -- very clear and utterly useful. I would really love to see examples "in the wool" along with your great drawings.

December 14, 2006 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Your illustrations are excellent! I especially liked your entry on needle tips. Thanks for all your hard work.

December 14, 2006 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Landolphe D'Aquin MD ThD said...

My first visit here. This is a superb site! I have always been looking for detailed explanations of the structural aspects of knitting, and this is it! Thank you for creating a great resource.

March 24, 2007 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Mitten said...

The charts got me to take a look, I do something similar in excel, but your drawings are OUTSTANDING!
I'd love to see you chart out some more of your favorite patterns, chart some color work patterns (love those Norwegian sweater patterns), also add to your glossary of stitch pictures (say that 3 times fast... definitely no more pg rating).
Thanks! Gotta get back to finishing that Christmas stocking, yeah I know it's Jan. 2nd.

January 2, 2008 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

wow ... i was just about to email you regarding this ... and finding the answer was primarily luck.
i throughly enjoy the information you share, but i especially love the illustrations you create.

May 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home